Lausanne 2020 has, since its inception, wanted to organize the Youth Olympic Games for and with the youth. The Organizing Committee works closely with different stakeholders to involve local students and pupils from primary and secondary schools to work towards the preparation and organization of the Youth Olympic Games.
The Department of Training, Youth and Culture (DFJC) of the canton of Vaud plays a particularly important role and carries a myriad of projects linking school learning, sport and Olympic values.
In order to demonstrate once again their motivation to be part of the project and their eagerness to have the Games at home, young elementary and high school students from the Township wanted to mark the occasion of the 2 Years To Go before the Youth Olympic Games. On the impulse of Yvan Rumpel and Pierre-Alain Mellina, YOG mission managers for the DGEO*, and with the coordination of Michel Rosselet, school principal, some 1200 students from the YOG host sites formed the slogan "JOJ 2020 2 YEARS TO GO", with a striking result.
Participating in this action were the establishments of
- Lausanne and Prilly (City and Olympic Capital, ice hockey events, short track speed skating, figure skating)
- Chavannes (Olympic Village of Youth)
- Morges (curling)
- Vallée de Joux (cross-country skiing)
- Leysin (snowboard and freestyle skiing)
- Diablerets (alpine skiing)
- Villars, with the help of Bex and Ollon (ski mountaineering, snowboarding and freestyle skiing)
*General Directorate of Compulsory Education